16 Phrases For Instant Credibility In a Job Interview
Have you ever heard someone speak before, and they just ooze credibility, presence and authority, and you’re not even sure why or how they do it?
Well, they use certain key phrases that will make you see them differently, and you can use them in your job interview, too!
With each of the examples I’m going to share with you, you want to consider the following things:
a) Can you use an example to further illustrate the phrase?
b) Do you have a story to tell about the phrase?
c) In what context are you using the phrase, and does the context work?
Here are examples of those 16 phrases:
- In the past, I’ve been noticed for getting teams communicating.
- On my last performance review, they mentioned that I had a knack for _____.
- My previous manager would tell me that ______________.
- I was previously recognized for always being on time (or ahead of schedule) with deadlines.
- It was noticed by my teacher/professor that I had a particular knack for ________.
- When I was growing up, I would always have a strong need to figure out how things worked and to get to the bottom of things.
- The moment I realized I wanted to do (x) was when __________.
- My team commented that I had a talent for _____, and they’d always give me the tasks related to this.
- My colleague used to always comment on my ability to keep things moving forward and power through roadblocks.
- I was asked to write an article for the college newsletter.
- I am known for creating an environment where I can influence people over whom I have no authority.
- I have been recognized in the past for taking initiative on things that needed to be addressed.
- I’ve been commended for being the person in the room who tells it like it is.
- I’m the type of person that is very comfortable around people.
- I’m incredibly passionate about ______ because I find ____ fascinating.
- I’m being considered for positions within ___ and ____ range.
If you are able to slip in some of these phrases when answering questions about yourself, you can often boost someone’s opinion of you, and they won’t be consciously aware of why or how you’ve done it.
While you’re not providing physical evidence of your abilities with any of these statements, you are elevating the person’s perception of you because someone else noticed, observed, noticed, or realized something about you enough to mention it.
Alternatively, you can simply state that you are good at something, and everyone will be saying they are good at everything, so this is just one of the ways you can set yourself apart.
And there you have it, If you enjoyed this article, I’ve put together some example interview stories in a resource for you that will also help boost your credibility and effectively communicate your value in your interviews.
So, if you’d like to dive deeper with me…
If you have ever blanked when asked one of these questions…
I’ve got you covered in my famous downloadable guide.
All you have to do is click on the image below to get it.
What you’ll get inside the guide:
Top-ten examples of stories that have proven to be impressive interview answers
The S.A.R.I. formula breakdown of how to answer these questions
The step-by-step of why it works
Fill-in-the-blank templates for each question so, you’ll be able to fill in the blanks and get going!
Now you’ll need to come up with your own stories! (You can steal the ones in the guide if they apply to you though too, I don’t mind)
If you are still getting stuck because you can’t think of your own stories…
I’ve included 25 questions that you can ask yourself to come up with your stories much quicker!
You’ll get all this in a beautifully designed workbook prepared specifically for you to prepare for your interviews.
By the end of working through this guide, you’ll be feeling confident and ready for any situational interview that comes your way!
Here is some feedback I’ve gotten from this guide, and I get new emails like this every day, and they NEVER get old!
Do you know one person who could benefit from the information in this post? If so, do your friend a favour and share this info with him/her.
And remember, the current system isn’t perfect, but you can outsmart it. I’m here to prove to you that you do have what it takes.
I’ll see you next time and I can’t wait!
In Work & Life
I’ve got your back